Friday, October 17, 2008

Bodies are interesting

When I was in my 20's I co-taught an undergrad anthropology class on 'The Body and the Senses.' At the time, I saw my role as teaching the anthropology students about sensory neurophysiology and brain anatomy. They didn't like me very much! Today I realized for the first time that bodies are actually pretty interesting.

I finally finished reading Elaine Scarry's book, The Body in Pain. She links pain and creativity or imagination, albeit rather tenuously, by defining 3 kinds of objects that she names a 'weapon', a 'tool' and an 'artifact'. A weapon has two ends, with power on one end and sentience (pain) on the other end. A tool is similar to a weapon, except that it has power and sentience both on the same end, acting on an inanimate surface. An artifact is a lever or arc that has no obvious ends and is a projection of the body onto an object which is then interjected by other bodies. Examples of artifacts are clothes, languages, and God. Riding on the bus this evening I noticed that we surround ourselves with artifacts, the crust of the earth is cluttered with them. I think we are as much made by them as making them. For instance, Scarry talks a lot about the chair as an artifact, and imagines Adam making the first chair for Eve to ease the pain of her body standing on her feet all day. But Western man (and woman) is shaped by the chair, chairs make our bodies lose the ability to bend in the middle and sit on the ground. The internet makes us lose our memory. We are made out of this stuff as much as we are made out of our genes and the food we eat.

One of the things that interests me, which Scarry barely mentions, is that this stuff we are all made of is co-created. Unlike Adam making the first chair for Eve, our chairs carry within them a whole history of chair design. When I was 6 years old, I used to wonder if my life had really happened, or if it was just a dream that I had dreamt and I was still really only 3. At that age I had to learn a new language because we moved to a different country, and I realized that I couldn't have invented a whole new language myself so therefore at least some part of my life was real. Artifacts can go beyond the creative capacity of a single individual, even a single generation of people that happen to be living on the earth at the same time.

We imbue objects and artifacts with sentient qualities, and can get quite upset with them at times. In some ways, I think this is a good thing. For example, my son was once upset that his surfboard had hit him on the head, so he spent a good few minutes cursing and being angry at the ocean. God can safely be blamed for most mishaps. Without God, we have only ourselves or other people to blame and that can be problematic. A student in my yoga class seemed tired, and I asked her after the class how she was feeling. She seemed a little embarrassed by the question, and said she wasn't doing too well today because she had skipped her cardio workout. I felt so sad for her, feeling that she had to do so much and that I was asking for more. Later I complimented her on listening to her body.

Going back to the theme of yoga as a religion, I realized the other day that when I took my yoga mat to the park I was noticing all the other people carrying yoga mats. I notice them all the time now. The mat is evidently the artifact of the new religion, since yoga can be practiced perfectly well without it. Most reminiscent of a Muslim prayer rug. The mat serves to protect our skin and hands from the surface of the world. I will [unconsciously] enact death by lying on it, but not get too close to the dirt?

Over the years, I came to my yoga teachers for advice on what to do for different aches and pains - asthma, blocked sinuses, backache, pain in the knees and neck. Not only for myself, but also for my ex. I trusted them more than my doctor, whom I thought to be in the pay of drug companies, and I found them more helpful than a massage therapist, because they told me what I could do for myself rather than doing it for me. I never thought about this up until now, perhaps I just regarded them as experts on the body, but I came to them as one would to a priestess or a shaman.

Summary of philosophical conclusions so far:
- Pain reminds me that I'm me, in my body, which is in the world and not in my imagination.
- Yoga has the elements of a religion. It has no god, but it incorporates ritual enactments of death. The central artifact of modern Western yoga is the mat.
- The power of yoga to heal pain may be based as much on faith as exercise.

Also thinking about eating disorders, and the problem of trying to attract clients to a group. If I have an eating disorder, then I am at war with my body. The therapist has to align with me and not with my body, so saying things like 'accept your body' and 'be diet free' would be counterproductive. If I have a pain disorder, then my body is at war with me. The therapist has to align with the part that experiences the pain, because that part feels like the real me.

No comments:

Post a Comment